The office of the DIS (GIRLS) Dharamsala was opened by Sh. K.L. Kapoor, D.C. and Chairman D.B.Kangraon May 20th 1954 and the building constructed by The L & C Co-operative society of Dari (the old building of DEO Kangra).
Prior to May/June 1963 the present office of the Dy.Director of Education office was designated as District Inspector of Schools separately for Boys and Girls.
For Girls – Smt.N.Amber was DIS Kangra district.
For Boys – Smt.KartarKaur was DIS Kangra.
After 1963 organization, the first DEO was Sh.P.N.Paul, PES-I.Assistant District Inspector of schools who were performing their jobs under sub division wise were redesigned as Block Education Officers both for Boys and Girls community block level after organization of the department. The above system was remained operative up to 31-10-1966 before reorganization of state of Punjab and H.P. and creation of Haryana state wef 01-11-1966.
In May/June 1963,Punjab Government organized the Education department and both the District Inspector of Schools and in each districts of Punjab were one officer designated under District Education Officer of the respective districts with full power of appointments and transfers. For transfer of Teaching and Non-teaching the circle Education Officer of Kangra district was under CEO Jalandhar under Punjab Government .The Director of Education was designated as Director of Public Inspections, Punjab. Our first DPI was Dr.J.D.Sharma, IAS.
The salaries of Middle school staff were drawn and disbursed by the District Education officers with powers of controlling officers.
The first Deputy Director of Education (North Zone) was Sh.Bidhi Chand and at present Sh. Desh Raj Sharma is working as Deputy Director of Hr. Education Kangra.
Situated in the foothhills of mighty and splendid Dhauladhar mountains, Deputy Director office situated in Kacheri near mini secretariat adjoining other government offices and is around 400 meters away from H.P. Board of School Education, Dharamshala and 500 meters away from HPCA cricket stadium Dharamshala.
Earlier this office was running in old building which was constructed on 1954 and at present the Deputy Director office is situated in newly constructed building which was inaugurated on 5 January 2005.